Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Passion in Poker

It amazes me how people can be so passionate with what they're doing... making me wonder if I have ever felt the same way. This has been a thought I've been wanting to write for the longest time but didn't seem to have the passion to do so...:P I think it came up when I watched a concert of Damien Rice with not so much a big crowd, but you'll feel the intensity that they have for the songs of such an ordinary guy who became this special and unique person because of his love for music and for pouring everything he has in his songs... I felt it... there was passion hard at work from the way he sang every song. I imagined all the disappointments and rejects he must have encountered to be where he is now... just like any other person who has found their calling.

I remember the words of Lance Armstrong in one ad, it goes something like...

"Christmas day...where are you? You're training...
2 weeks before the competition... are you overweight? No, you're two pounds below the cutoff."

Those weren't his exact words but the message can really get you going, right? My bf and I joke about this whenever we hear it saying something like...

"Christmas day... where are you? You're playing poker...
2 weeks before the tournament... are you out of condition? No, you're reading Phil Gordon's Little Green Book..."


Hehehe... I'm way behind now however, he is truly passionate in this and it is evident by how much he wants to be good at it and gain the skills he needs for a higher level game. This is smart poker, the one that really makes you analyze... not the kind you should be gambling with... it's not just pure luck... you need to be ready for the next move and go beyond the present play. So along with this passion comes all the disappointments and rejects but you go on because you know you can do it and because you can't help but love it.

I've not been updating because I haven't been playing much... been out... but I've been playing some small games here and there with friends... won some big stake ones. Miss playing the tournaments with people who share that certain sentiment with me, though... some strangers even... yes, a table full of strangers and your only allies are your position, your hand, your skill, and your luck.

No comments: