Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Recalling the Killer 8-8s

Had a dream last night about poker... haha even in my dreams! The hand was 10-2 on BB, SB raises and still no folds for 10-2, the flop comes X-2-2! Trips! SB raises again and I remember thinking he must have a really big hand... and then I wake up to greet another day of poker coming along the way.

My bf and I were planning on playing at makati again and I recalled the last sit&go play I had there. Luck was on my side in the early part of the game. Had hands A-Ks, A-Qs, A-J, K-K, 8-8 so it wasn't surprising I was the chip lead right away.

On one hand, I had 8-8 and raised since I was in position. 3 of us were in this hand. Flop comes 4-8-X. I got the trips! First guy checked, second guy checked, I raised less than the pot size. Both guys called. Turn came, they both checked and I raised a bit more. First guy called but was somewhat questioning me. Second guy still called but was a bit hesitant. Ace came on the river, both guys checked again and I raised pot size both still called. Turns out the first guy had pocket 4s and tripped with the 4 on the flop. Second guy had high cards and paired with the Ace. I won a big pot on this hand!

Eventually, it came down to 4 players and 2 of us probably were leading in chips. On one hand, I had 8-8 again! This time I just called, two guys went along with their hands and flop came no 8s, and there were some high cards, I checked and someone raised the minimum bet, I called and I think the other guy called, too. Turn comes the 8! I re-raised at this point and 8 trips won me the pot again.

Another hand, I had suited connectors BB and called a raise from a guy who keeps bluffing with bad starting hands and keeps winning on the river! Flop comes giving me a straight draw and highest pair, I checked but lucky bluffer raises so I call. Turn gave me a straight and just called another raise from him. Flop comes giving me a straight and he raised again, I went all in. He called, sure enough he had a bad hand but was going for the lower end of the straight. The guy had only a few chips left so he could have easily become the bubble but he was really lucky!

Battle between big stacks came, I had Q-9 spades suited SB. Flop comes 5spades-7-Xspades which gave me a flush draw. I raised I think 3 times the blinds, guy calls all in. Hard decision... his chips had mine covered. He said 'fold na..' I knew he wasn't bluffing and told him I had a nice hand, too and showed him my Q-9 spades. He told me he'll show me his hand but I didn't really care what he had at that point because I know that if a spade comes on the turn or river I'd still get the pot. I did fold and until now I keep wondering if a spade would have turned up. Haha! He did show me his cards and he had 5-7 two pair. Well he could probably have gotten a full house but still I wonder... haha.

Next, came the death of my big stack ( I was second chip lead at this point)... I got A-Q suited and just called. Next two players called and big blind went all in. I covered his chips and had just a few chips to spare if I lost so I did call. His hand was my killer pockets 8-8!!! No Aces, Queens or eights came on the board. He doubled up and then suddenly I became the short stack!

Last hand, I had A-9 and went all in. Lucky bluffer and chip lead called. Lucky bluffer had a K-5. Flop came A-X-K, river K and the turn was no help for any of us. Lucky bluffer got my chips!!

Too bad... almost was ITM... My killer 8-8s turned on me!

6 comments:

GameFrog said...

Hmmmm the tournament you play are extremely loose. At this point you have to tighten up and play either the premium hands or the nuts. Case in point, that's how you got your chips in the early going.

However, in the latter part of the tournament you have to switch gears. A hand that is strong enough to call with is strong enough to raise with!! A raise pre flop allows you to become table captain for the round. You can dictate the betting tempo.

Simply play opposite to the nature of the table. However, you have to switch gears in the latter part of the tournament. Keep em guessing.

Finally I suggest you gain the ability to calculate pot odds instantly. It helps a lot when the table is full of calling stations as you will be able to figure out how much to bet to give them awful odds. In the long run that translates to all their money

bold.move said...

Thanks for the tip gamefrog! Yeah ur right about calculating pot odds... haven't really been doing much of that.

GameFrog said...

Well if you need some help on how to do pot odds easily lemme know. Check my blog when you got time as well

bold.move said...

hey gamefrog was ITM in an MTT last weekend!:) did what u told me... i tried improving my calculation of pot odds and raising pre-flop to have control over the betting and it paid off... just got blinded out in the final table.

GameFrog said...

Haha nice one!! grats!! Post about it and let us know how it went...

Hmmmm asarin ko boyfriend mo. You're doing better them him nyahahahaha

bold.move said...

hahaha! thanks!;) got lucky in some hands din.